Use this free tip calculator to determine the tip and total bill amount. It also creates a custom tip table.
Using the tip calculator is fairly simple.
- First, select the currency from the drop-down list.
- Next, enter the total amount of the bill.
- Next, enter the tip percentage.
- Finally, select the number of people to split the bill between, and then click the "Calculate" button.
- Take a look at the results of your calculation below.
The Tip Calculator Uses the Following Formulae:
- Total Tip = Bill Amount × (Tip Percentage / 100)
- Total Amount = Bill Amount + Tip Amount
- Tip Per Person = Total Tip / Number of People
- Total Per Person = Total Amount / Number of People
How to Calculate a Tip Without a Calculator
If you're presented with a bill in a restaurant but don't have your mobile phone or a calculator to hand, there's a quick and easy way to calculate the tip:
First, remove all the pennies from the total bill. So, for example, if the charge is $42.65, round it down to $42.60.
Next, you need to calculate 10 percent of this amount. This is easy. Simply move the decimal point to the left by one place. As such, 10 percent of $42.60 is $4.26. To make life easier, depending on how generous you're feeling, you can then round this figure up or down, to $4.20 or $4.30 respectively.
From there, you can easily calculate both 20 percent and 15 percent of the bill.
To determine 20 percent, simply double the 10 percent: $4.30 × 2 = $8.60 or $4.20 × 2 =$8.40.
To determine 15 percent, find the 10 percent, round it up or down, and then halve the figure and add it back to the 10 percent. So, for example:
Ten percent of $42.60 is $4.26 rounded to $4.20. Half of $4.20 (i.e., 5 percent) is $2.10. As such, 15 percent of $42.60 is roughly $4.20 + $2.10 = $6.30.
|Buffet||No tipping||No tipping||No tipping|
You may also be interested in our Pizza Tip Calculator